If you’ve been involved in a car park accident, you may be eligible for some form of compensation. This could apply whether the accident involved injury, whether the driver at fault left the scene without identifying themself, whether you were driving for work or personal reasons, or in various other circumstances.

What should I do if I’m involved in a car park accident?

If you are involved in a crash, you must stop immediately, and provide whatever assistance is practicable to anyone else involved in the crash. You must also exchange details with the other driver. At a minimum, exchange names, addresses and the registration number of the cars.

You should also confirm the time and place of the accident, and log any other details including the make and model of the vehicles involved, any damage to either vehicle, the details of the owner of the vehicles (if not driving), and the insurance details of the driver and the car’s owner.

If there are any injuries, if either driver is under the influence of drugs or alcohol, if a vehicle needs to be towed, or if the other driver did not provide their details, you must notify the police immediately, but it may be advisable to seek legal advice before providing a statement.

You may also wish to seek legal advice before speaking with your insurance company or lodging a compensation claim, but remember that time limits do apply for some policies or compensation schemes. A What’s My Claim Worth expert advisor can help you understand your situation, and guide you through the process after a car park accident.

Am I eligible for compensation for my car park accident?

If your car has been damaged in a car park, and you are not at fault, you may be able to claim the repair costs from an insurance company without paying any excess or increased premiums. You may also be able to claim for the cost of a rental car while yours is being repaired, or other expenses.

However, whether you claim from your own insurance company or the other drivers’, the nature and limits of your claim, and the involvement of the police or court system, will all depend on the circumstances of your accident, your insurance policy, and various other factors.

If you are injured in a car park accident, you are eligible to make a claim for personal injury compensation under the Compulsory Third Party Scheme (CTP), which is mandatory for all registered vehicles in every state in Australia. You may also be able to make other types of compensation or personal injury claims.

How do I claim for my car park accident?

What’s My Claim Worth can help you start the process to get the result you need in your claim during an accident. This legal process may result in an insurance payout covering your costs, or compensation for loss and damages, but the timeframes and complexity will depend on your circumstances.

If you have been injured and wish to pursue a CTP claim, you will need to lodge a Personal Injury Claim Form. Obtain a Certificate of Capacity from your GP or medical professional, which will detail your diagnosis. Make sure that the incident has been reported to the police within 28 days, and record down the CTP details of the other car or cars involved.

If the driver at fault has left the scene and you do not have any of their details, you may need to pursue them through the criminal or courts systems if you wish to achieve any compensation. There are several avenues available to you which may involve up-front costs, such as paying for a copy of a police report, or filing fees for subpoenas.

To learn more about the types of compensation and insurance payouts you are eligible for, and the different processes involved, contact a What’s My Claim Worth advisor.

How can What’s My Claim Worth help me?

What’s My Claim Worth’s compensation advisors can help you understand your situation, the rules which apply, and the various types of compensation available to you. Once confirmed, we can then put you in touch with the best legal professionals to handle your car park accident case claim, operating under our No Win, No Fee guarantee (excluding defendant costs if the claim is litigated).