Institutional Abuse Claims

If you are a victim of institutional abuse, you may be eligible for compensation for the pain, suffering and psychological impact of your experience. While no amount of money can compensate for the physical and psychological harm caused by institutional abuse, it can help cover medical treatment costs and living costs in the event you find it difficult to maintain full-time employment.

Am I eligible for an institutional abuse claim?

Institutional abuse claims can be made by individuals who have experienced an injury caused by child abuse. These claims are usually made against government or non-government organisations including schools or religious organisations, and can be made for sexual or physical abuse, whether historical or recent.

Under the National Redress Scheme, some kinds of claims made against participating organisations may be eligible for payments and personal responses from the liable organisation. Not all abuse survivors will be eligible under the National Redress Scheme, and not all organisations responsible for historical child abuse are participants. These payments are capped at $150,000.

It’s important to note that institutional abuse survivors who pursue payments through the National Redress Scheme will not be able to bring other institutional abuse claims, which may result in greater amounts of compensation.

Which claim should I make?

Deciding which pathway to take will depend on the facts of your claim and your personal circumstances. What’s My Claim Worth partners with law firms throughout Australia that specialise in delicate cases such as institutional abuse claims. These partners have dedicated their professional careers to fighting for those who have suffered institutional abuse, and they have the expertise to investigate your entitlements while walking you through the process with compassion. We are here to help you receive compensation, backed up by our No Win, No Fee guarantee.

While we understand that there is no fair way to compensate for abuse, institutional abuse compensation claims are one way that you can ease your financial burden and hold institutions accountable for the suffering they have caused. When institutions fail to protect you, you deserve to seek compensation for your trauma.

Do I need a lawyer to claim for institutional abuse compensation?

There is no legal requirement to engage a lawyer when claiming compensation for institutional abuse. Unfortunately, institutional abuse claims can also be lengthy and challenging to process. There are many steps that you need to take and it can be overwhelming and difficult to know what to do at each stage. What’s My Claim Worth can help.

We have experts who specialise in working solely on institutional abuse compensation claims. Our legal network will help you every step of the way to ensure you are supported in obtaining the compensation entitlements you deserve. Moreover, they understand the difficulties you may be facing and have the empathy to support you through this process.

How much is my institutional abuse compensation claim worth?

What’s My Claim Worth team of dedicated expert assessors who can help you determine the value of your institutional abuse claim. They take into account the case information you provide to give you a worst-case to best-case value range.

As well as the potential value of your claim, we can also tell you if there are other claims you should consider pursuing.

No Win, No Fee

After speaking to one of our team, you can choose to connect with our network of legal professionals specialising in institutional abuse. All of our lawyers work on a No Win, No Fee guarantee (excluding defendant costs if the claim is litigated) and provide you with a free case assessment.