What is compulsory third party insurance?

Compulsory third party (CTP) insurance is a type of insurance that provides compensation to those who have sustained injuries in a motor vehicle accident. While this cover may provide compensation to successful claimants, it does not cover the costs of property damage or any damage that may occur to your vehicle or the vehicles of others.

As the name suggests, CTP is a compulsory form of insurance that all motorists in Australia are required to have. In many states and territories, including the Northern Territory, CTP is included within the total cost of vehicle registration.

When might you be eligible to make a CTP claim?

If you’ve been involved in a motor vehicle accident, whether as a driver, a passenger, a pedestrian, a cyclist or as a driver of another type of vehicle, such as a motorcycle, you may be entitled to make a CTP insurance claim. Get in touch with our team of claim advisors today to discuss your case and discover what you may be entitled to claim.

What are the CTP laws in the Northern Territory?

The Northern Territory complies with the Motor Accidents Compensation Scheme and the Motor Accidents Compensation Act. CTP insurance is regulated under the Motor Accidents (Compensation) Act and administered by the Territory Insurance Office (TIO) on behalf of the Northern Territory government. The no-fault scheme compensates all people injured in a motor vehicle crash in the Northern Territory, regardless of where they reside (NT, interstate or overseas) and where their vehicle is registered (NT or interstate). 

An injured person may include pedestrians, drivers, passengers, motorcyclists and cyclists as long as their injuries were caused by, or arising out of, use of a motor vehicle. The scheme is funded by motor vehicle owners, through a contribution when they register their vehicle. When a vehicle is registered in the Northern Territory, CTP insurance is included in the registration fee. The Motor Accidents Compensation scheme provides a range of benefits, including compensation for medical and hospital care, rehabilitation services, loss of limb and loss of earning capacity. Benefits may be reduced if the injured person did not obey traffic regulations. No benefits are payable if you were using the vehicle unlawfully or without the consent of the owner.

What do you do to claim CTP insurance in the Northern Territory?

Claims for Motor Accidents Compensation are managed by the Territory Insurance Office (TIO) and all contact regarding claims should be directed to TIO.

If you are injured in a motor vehicle accident, it is important to contact TIO as soon as possible to register your MAC claim so that your entitlement to benefits can be assessed and you get the medical treatment and services necessary to support your recovery.

What should you do if you are involved in a motor vehicle accident?

If you are involved in a motor vehicle accident as a driver, passenger, pedestrian or cyclist, it’s important to take a few key actions after the accident occurs. Where possible look to:

  • Call the police and report your accident. In order to make a CTP claim, a police report will need to have been made. If the police do not attend the scene of the accident, you will need to contact them directly, ensuring that you receive an event number that you can reference when submitting your claim.
  • Seek medical attention. No matter how mild you may think your injuries are, it’s always a good idea to see a doctor as soon as possible after being involved in a motor vehicle accident. As you receive medical treatment and are provided with certificates, reports and other documentation, look to store all documents safely for future reference.
  • Ask for the details of others involved in the accident. From other drivers to passengers and pedestrians, it’s a good idea to gather the names and contact details of others who were involved in the accident. Ask for the insurance details and registration of other drivers too.
  • Get the details of any witnesses. If there were witnesses who saw the accident occur, ask them for their name and contact details. They may be able to help substantiate your claim if required.
  • Lodge your claim as soon as possible. The CTP claim process can be quite lengthy, so it’s always a good idea to begin the process as early as you can.

How long do CTP claims take?

As the circumstances surrounding each CTP claim can vary greatly, it can be difficult to know exactly how long it will take for a successful claim to be resolved. In most cases, it will take anywhere between 12 to 18 months, but this timeframe may be shortened or extended depending on the severity of your injuries and whether you need to appeal the initial decision made by the insurer.

Why should you choose What’s My Claim Worth?

What’s My Claim Worth can help you start the process to get the result you need for lodging a CTP insurance claim in the Northern Territory. Starting this legal process can result in monetary compensation for you, as well as potential new orders surrounding third party insurance claims If you or a loved one has suffered injuries. Every year we help countless people make no win, no fee CTP claims.

Once you’ve reached out to our helpful team of claim advisors and have provided details about your situation, we can then put you in touch with the best legal professionals to handle your CTP Insurance claim — no win, no fee (excluding defendant costs if the claim is litigated).

Frequently asked questions

Does CTP cover car damage?
No, unlike some other types of insurance, compulsory third party insurance only covers personal injuries.

Is CTP insurance compulsory?
Yes, CTP insurance is compulsory in all Australian states. It is a requirement for vehicle registration and it is illegal to drive a vehicle that is not covered by a CTP policy.